One day after earning her yellow band (and after playing in the pool for an hour and a half) Tyler asked Phil if she could try for the coveted blue band. To earn your blue band you have to jump into the deep end of the lap pool, tread water and then swim the length of the pool without stopping, assistance or a parent in the water. Phil never dreamt that she'd make it, but encouraged her to try anyway. With great determination, she jumped in, treaded water until getting the life guard's go-ahead, and then made her way down the entire length of the pool. So, on her first try and the day after earning her yellow band, she was the proud new owner of the BLUE BAND! Upon earning your blue band, you're able to slide the big yellow and purple slides and swim without a parent in the pool. Although they were on their way out of the pool when she decided to try for the blue band, Tyler and Phil went back to the family pool to ride the purple and yellow slides she'd been dreaming about. I wasn't with them that night so yes, a major milestone missed by Mommy. But when she got home, she ran to me in the kitchen, holding her arm behind her back and grinning ear to ear, saying, "Mom, guess what I got at the "Y" tonight - you're not going to believe it?" I can say with great certainly that I've never seen Tyler more proud, animated or excited about anything than she was about this blue band. I missed her earning the blue band, but the memory of the excitement in those bloodshot eyes will be with me forever! Here are pics of them riding our new favorite slides.
No comments:
Post a Comment